Skip Navigation
Skip to contents

PHRP : Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives

OPEN ACCESS
SEARCH
Search

Author index

Page Path
HOME > Articles and issues > Author index
Search
Ali Sharifzadeh 2 Articles
Aflatoxin M1 Contamination Levels in Cheeses Sold in Isfahan Province, Iran
Ali Sharifzadeh, Payam Ghasemi-Dehkordi, Mohsen Foroughi, Elham Mardanpour-Shahrekordi, Shahin Ramazi
Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2017;8(4):260-263.   Published online August 31, 2017
DOI: https://doi.org/10.24171/j.phrp.2017.8.4.05
  • 2,552 View
  • 18 Download
  • 11 Citations
AbstractAbstract PDF
Objectives

Aflatoxin M1 (AFM1)-contaminated dairy products pose serious human health risks, causing liver and renal failure if consumed. They are also related to decreased milk and egg production in infected animals. This study investigated the AFM1 contamination levels in cheeses sold in Isfahan province, Iran, by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).

Methods

A total of 100 white cheese samples were randomly collected from supermarkets in Isfahan province and after extraction using dichloromethane were prepared for the ELISA.

Results

Of the 100 samples, 52 (52%) were contaminated by AFM1, at levels ranging from 50.2 to 424.4 ng/kg. The remaining 48% of the samples had undetectable AFM1 levels (< 50 ng/kg). Based on the standard limit set by the European Commission and Iran, 8% (8/100) of the AFM1-positive samples (with concentrations between 250.2 and 424.4 ng/kg) had levels higher than the permissible value of 250 ng/kg.

Conclusion

Although the percentage of cheese samples in Isfahan province with AFM1 levels exceeding the national permissible limit was low, the examination of cheeses and the milk used for their production is nevertheless important for ensuring public health. Furthermore, optimum storage conditions of animal feed should be ensured, and livestock nutrition must be monitored for the presence of AFM1 and other aflatoxins.

Evaluation of Microbial Contamination and Chemical Qualities of Cream-filled Pastries in Confectioneries of Chaharmahal Va Bakhtiari Province (Southwestern Iran)
Ali Sharifzadeh, Mohammad Hajsharifi-Shahreza, Payam Ghasemi-Dehkordi
Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2016;7(6):346-350.   Published online December 31, 2016
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2016.09.004
  • 1,688 View
  • 30 Download
  • 1 Citations
AbstractAbstract PDF
Objectives
High consumption of bakery products such as cream-filled pastries may cause serious health risks and food poisoning to humans. Therefore, investigation of the microbial and chemical qualities of bakery products containing cream is necessary. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the chemical qualities and microbial contaminations of cream-filled pastries collected from confectioneries located in six cities in Chaharmahal Va Bakhtiari province (Southwestern Iran).
Methods
Microbial tests and chemical characteristics (fat and acidity level) were done on 228 cream-filled pastries samples that were collected randomly from various confectioneries.
Results
After microbial tests, it was found that 33.33% of all samples were contaminated by microbial agents. The microbial tests showed that Shahrekord (10.09%) and Broujen (9.21%) cities had high levels of contamination and in Koohrang (1.31%) it was low compared with the other four cities. High contamination of coliforms (61.84%), staphylococci (48.68%), and yeast (27.63%) were observed in almost all samples. The chemical analysis showed maximum amounts of fat content and titratable acidity in cream-filled pastry samples obtained from Lordegan and Shahrekord cities, respectively.
Conclusion
The findings of the present work demonstrated that the microbial contamination and chemical quality of cream-filled pastries produced in confectionaries of Chaharmahal Va Bakhtiari province were not in acceptable ranges. These problems may be related to fecal contamination of cream samples or lack of hygiene by handlers and it is necessary to observe the standards of hygiene and to develop safe food handling techniques and aseptic pastry manufacturing systems in some confectioneries of Chaharmahal Va Bakhtiari province.

PHRP : Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives